BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Turkey Shepherd's Pie

I have been wanting to make Shepherd's Pie after watching an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives that featured a restaurant specializing in this dish. I found this recipe over at Real Simple.

(By the way, even though I'm a magazine editor, I would happily do ANY job on Triple D just for the experience. And, one recent episode spotlighted a couple who has made it a quest to visit all of the restaurants featured on the show, which I think is so neat.)

Back to the recipe...

I liked the variation of using turkey, even though I'm not a huge fan of its color when cooked. The chicken gravy punched up the normally bland flavor and made it seem richer, but not as heavy as beef.

It's pretty well-documented that I love a casserole, so you can pretty much combine any variety of ingredients and it's appealing to me. Meat...peas...potatoes...cheese. How can you go wrong?

One thing...I might use a little less water in the turkey mixture or cook it on the stove a bit longer to thicken it up a little more. It would also kick up the flavor to use garlic mashed potatoes instead of plain.

Printable recipe


1-1/2 pounds ground turkey   
1 1.2-ounce package dry chicken gravy mix
1 10-ounce package frozen peas, thawed, or can of peas, drained
1 24-ounce package refrigerated mashed potatoes
1/2 cup shredded cheese

Brown turkey. Add the gravy mix and 1 cup water. Stir frequently until the sauce comes to a boil; cook 1 minute. Grease a 8x8 baking dish and spoon in the turkey. Top with the peas, then the mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with the cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until top is golden.

1 comment:

  1. The first time I tried Shepherd's Pie, I was not a fan. I remember finding it tough to swallow (literally), so I was looking forward to a possible change of opinion with this recipe.

    No such luck. Not pretty to look at, bland, and awkwardly textured... Yep, it's everything I remember about Shepherd's Pie.

    There is a good side to this, though. Regarding food, I've always vowed to try everything twice, so I NEVER have to choke down Shephard's Pie again! BONUS!!

    ReplyDelete