BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Meat Lover's Bread Pudding


Doesn't the name of this dish just scream "guy food" to you? This was floating around on Pinterest and comes courtesy of Pillsbury.

I made a few adjustments, some on purpose and some not. I intentionally left out the onion/celery/bell pepper mixture, for personal preference. Also, when I was browning the beef and sausage, I realized I was cooking 1/2 pound extra meat than the recipe called for...so instead of mixing in just one cup of marinara, I used the entire jar, just to make sure it had enough liquid. Finally, I realized that the boxes of frozen Texas toast I had bought were larger than specified, so I just used a box and a half. Basically, you just need enough cubes to cover two layers.

The prep on this was a little more intense than I thought...um, cubing frozen pieces of bread is no small task. And, the reviews were mixed. I thought it was delicious, with the bread sort of melting into a consistency that was almost like pasta. However, my BF thought it was dry. I brought leftovers to my mother the next day, and she said that when reheated in microwave, the bread became "gummy"...but that it had good flavor and she wished she could have tasted straight from the oven.

Like I said, though, I enjoyed it. I might not make it again...but I'm glad I gave it a try.

Printable recipe

1
 pound ground beef
1/2
 pound Italian pork sausage
1
  cup marinara sauce
1
  cup half-and-half
teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2
 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 
teaspoon pepper
8
 eggs
2
 boxes (9.5 oz each) frozen five-cheese Texas toast, cubed
2
 cups shredded Italian cheese blend


Brown and drain beef and sausage. Stir in 1 cup marinara sauce. 

In medium bowl, beat half-and-half, Italian seasoning, garlic salt, pepper and eggs until blended. 

Layer half of the Texas toast in greased 9x13 dish; top with half of the meat mixture and 1 cup of the cheese blend. Repeat layers. Pour egg mixture over top. 

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 50 to 55 minutes or until center is set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment