BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pepperoni Pizza Sliders


Monday nights, in particular, are now more difficult for me, so I decided to use my kitchen as a much-needed distraction. I cranked up the music and put together these sliders that I had seen from What's Cookin' Chicago?

I feel about Hawaiian sweet rolls the way I do about crescent rolls...you can put virtually anything in them and it's going to be a winner.

These were, as you can imagine, delicious...but I think they could have been even more so. I think I used too much sauce, even though I didn't pile it on, because it seeped into the bread and made the sandwiches soggy. I think these would be better if you heated the sauce up separately and served on the side as a dip. 

That said, though, it sounds like it's strictly a matter of opinion, since the two guys at work who split the leftovers declared them "perfect" and told me not to change a thing. Go figure.

What really makes these special is the topping...if it's possible to improve the flavor of Hawaiian rolls (and I didn't think it was), it's with this scrumptious sauce.


Printable recipe


Sandwiches:
Pizza sauce
1 package (12-count) Hawaiian sweet rolls
Pepperoni slices
Shredded mozzarella cheese

Topping:
4 tablespoons butter, melted
Italian seasoning
Worcestershire sauce
Grated Parmesan cheese

Spread pizza sauce onto both sides of the center of each roll. Place 2-3 slices of pepperoni and some shredded cheese inside of each roll. Close rolls and place them close together into a large baking dish or heavy cookie sheet. 
In a small bowl, combine melted butter with a few shakes each of Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, and cheese. Pour evenly over all of the sandwiches, just enough to cover the tops; let sandwiches sit for 10 minutes to absorb the butter and seasonings.

Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Uncover and cook for 2 additional minutes or until tops are slightly brown and crispy.

No comments:

Post a Comment