BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, October 5, 2012

Chili Relleno Casserole





I've never met a Mexican dish I didn't like, so when I saw this recipe from Lynn's Kitchen Adventures, it went straight on my Pinterest board.

It had great flavor, but with four eggs, this was more like a crustless quiche to me. It could have easily been a good breakfast casserole, perhaps with sausage.

I couldn't really taste the chilies at all, despite the recipe calling for two cans. I have since seen similar recipes that use (fresh or canned) whole peppers on the bottom, and I think I would have preferred that, for a little "bite" both in texture and heat.

Printable recipe

1 pound ground beef
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
2 4-ounce cans chopped green chilies
4 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce

Cook and drain beef. Add green chilies and garlic powder to meat and set aside.

In a 9x13 pan, layer 1/2 of meat and 1/3 of cheeses. Add another layer of meat and another layer of cheese. (Leave remaining cheese to use on top after baking.)

Whisk together eggs and milk in a small bowl and pour over the top of the cheese.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and spread tomato sauce over top and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 7 more minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment