BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Meatball Sub Casserole



I always, always have at least one jar of spaghetti sauce in my pantry and a package of meatballs in my freezer. These two items frequently go on sale at my favorite grocery store, so I'm always stocked up...which made this recipe perfect, since I basically only had to buy a baguette.

It popped up in my Twitter feed last week, courtesy of a fellow Pinner and Gooseberry Patch, and I knew it wouldn't sit on my board long before I made it.

The cream cheese layer is the star of this dish. The creamy richness is absolutely divine. The bread soaks up the spaghetti sauce and is a perfect, spongy "bed." (But it's not too soggy. Be sure to use a firm/crisp bread.)



Printable recipe


1 loaf Italian bread, cut into 1-inch thick slices
8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1 14-ounce package frozen meatballs
1 jar pasta sauce
1 cup water
 
Arrange bread slices in a single layer in an ungreased 9x13 dish. In a bowl, combine cream cheese and mayonnaise; spread over bread slices. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Mix together meatballs, spaghetti sauce and water; spoon over cheese. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment